FOR THE SALSA VERDE
• 25g/1oz flat leaf parsley
• 25g/1oz fresh basil leaves
• 2 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
• 1 boiled egg
• 25g/1oz fresh white breadcrumbs
• 15ml/1tbsp white wine vinegar
• 15ml/1tbsp capers, drained
• 60ml/4tbsp olive oil
• a pinch of salt and a grind or two of black pepper
FOR THE CREAMY MASH
• 700g/1 ½lb Maris piper potatoes
• 50g/2oz butter
• 4-5tbsp milk
FOR THE CHICKEN
• 4 chicken breast fillets
• a little olive oil
FOR THE SALAD
• Dressing: 45ml/3tbsp olive oil
• 5ml/1tsp lemon juice
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 0g/2oz watercress
• 15g/½oz flat leaf parsley leaves
• 15g/½oz fresh mint leaves
• 10 basil leaves
• 10 fresh young thyme sprigs
• 10 sprigs of tarragon
• 10 sprigs of fresh dill
• 1 long red chilli, deseeded and finely diced
• ¼ cucumber sliced into strips using a vegetable peeler
1. To make the salsa verde: put the parsley, basil and crushed garlic in a food processor and blend on the pulse setting until a paste forms. Add all remaining ingredients and pulse again until a uniform sauce is formed. Taste and season accordingly. Transfer to a bowl, cover and chill until required.
2. To make the potatoes: cut the potatoes into even sized chunks. Place in a large pan, cover with cold water and add a good pinch of salt. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for about 15 mins. They are ready when you can easily slit a knife through the potatoes.
3. Drain the potatoes, then return to the pan to a low heat to evaporate excess moisture. Mash well with masher or fork, keep the heat going under that pan until they are thoroughly smooth. Season well, add the butter and mix in roughly. Add the milk and beat continuously over the heat until mixture starts to bubble. Remove from the heat, taste and season again if necessary. Keep warm.
4. To cook the chicken: Heat a griddle pan until hot. Drizzle a little oil over the chicken, and season with salt and pepper, rub all over the chicken. Turn the heat down then add the chicken and cook for 10-15 mins, turning once or twice until the chicken is nicely charred on both sides but cooked through in the middle - there should be no sign of pink juices.
5. To make the herb salad: first make the dressing: Put into a screw top jar and shake very well leave to one side. Next place the watercress and herbs in a bowl, tearing them as you add them. Next add the chilli and cucumber. Just before serving add the dressing and toss to mix.
6. To serve: place a mound of mash on each plate, spoon a little salsa verde to one side,then lay the chicken breast in the middle of the sauce. Finally place a heap of salad next to the chicken. Serve straight away.