Roast up this great mix of herbs and vegetables and keep them in the fridge to use as sandwich fillings, topping for pizza or baked potatoes or serve hot tossed into freshly cooked pasta. The cloves of whole garlic become sweet and tender during roasting and just need to be squeezed from their papery cases once plated up.
500g/1lb butternut squash, peeled and deseeded
• 2 small red onions, peeled
• 2 red peppers, halved and deseeded
• 2 courgettes, trimmed
• 1 bulb of garlic, broken into cloves
• 30ml/2 tbsp olive oil
• zest and juice 1 lemon
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 45ml/3tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
• 45ml/3tbsp snipped fresh chives
1. Preheat the oven to 200oC/Fan180oC/400oF/Gas mark 6. Cut the vegetables into bite sized chunks and place all but the courgettes in a large roasting dish. Add the olive oil, zest and juice, plenty of salt and ground black pepper and toss well to mix.
2. Roast for 20 mins. Remove from the oven, add the courgette and stir well to mix. Roast for a further 10-15 mins or until all the vegetables are tender and lightly charred.
3. Scatter over the herbs and return to the oven for a final 2-3 mins or until the herbs are slightly wilted. Serve straight away stirred into pasta or leave to cool, spoon into a dish, cover and store in the fridge for upto 4 days.